Connect with us

Politics

World-renowned Canadian doctor says NYU cancelled her talk for being ‘anti-government’ TenX News

Published

on


A world-renowned Canadian doctor says her lecture at New York University (NYU) was cancelled for being ‘anti-government.’

Dr. Joanne Liu, an associate professor at McGill and Université de Montréal and a pediatric emergency medicine physician who formerly served as the head of Médecins Sans Frontières (Doctors Without Borders), told Global News she was left stunned after her scheduled presentation at NYU was abruptly cancelled last week.

She said her lecture was going to discuss humanitarian aid in a time of crises as well as the challenges aid workers have faced in Gaza and other war zones.

Her presentation was also going to address the recent cuts to foreign aid, notably USAID, by President Trump‘s administration.

“[I was told] that discussing the USAID cuts could be perceived as an anti-governmental narrative,” Liu told Global in an interview on Friday. She added that NYU, her alma mater, also said her lecture risked being perceived as antisemitic.

Story continues below advertisement

Liu’s presentation was set to go ahead on March 19. The night before, once she had already arrived in New York, Liu was told by the school’s vice-chair of the education department that it had been cancelled.

She said the vice-chair voiced concerns about some of her slides that cited aid worker databases that showed the number of humanitarian casualties in 2024 in Gaza, as well as the recent massive cuts to USAID, a civilian foreign aid and development assistance agency. She was told both topics could respectively risk being perceived as antisemitic and anti-government, Liu said.

For news impacting Canada and around the world, sign up for breaking news alerts delivered directly to you when they happen.

Get breaking National news

For news impacting Canada and around the world, sign up for breaking news alerts delivered directly to you when they happen.

She offered to make adjustments, but NYU elected to cancel the event altogether.


Global News reached out to NYU for comment and has not heard back.

This comes amid the Trump administration’s recent grant cuts to U.S. universities, and Liu says she believes NYU was afraid to suffer the same fate. She added that it reflects the climate of fear American universities are currently living under.

The Trump administration recently pulled $400 million in federal funding to Columbia University, after alleging the institution failed to protect students from “antisemitic harassment.” The university has since restored its funding after it agreed to a set of demands, including placing its Middle Eastern Studies Department under academic oversight.

“Almost a year ago, I was invited to give a scientific lecture at NYU’s Department of Emergency Medicine. I did my fellowship there, my specialty in pediatric emergency medicine in the 1990s,” Liu wrote in an opinion piece published Thursday in Montreal French language newspaper Le Devoir.

Story continues below advertisement

“Elite universities are in the crosshairs of presidential cuts,” Liu continued. “I have sympathy for those who feel insecure on campus. And I have just as much sympathy for university administrators who are trying to preserve their funding and, ultimately, their jobs, their research and their teaching.”

She added that academic freedom is currently in a vulnerable state in the United States.

The latest in a deteriorating relationship with the U.S.

This is the latest in an uptick in Canadians saying they are avoiding all travel south of the border.

Iranian-Canadian political science professor at McGill University, Arash Abizadeh, told Global he cancelled three upcoming academic trips to the states.

He explained that while he’s disturbed by Trump’s recent antagonistic rhetoric toward Canadian sovereignty, he’s mostly concerned about the safety of foreigners on U.S. soil.

He cited the incident earlier in March when a French scientist was denied entry to the country after immigration officials at a Houston airport searched his phone and found text messages criticizing the president, which they reportedly said “could be considered terrorism.”

“Who wants to put themselves in a position where they can be arbitrarily detained?” Abizadeh said, speaking about his reticence to enter the U.S.

Story continues below advertisement

Daniel Jutras, the rector of the Université de Montréal as well as a lawyer and academic who specializes in civil and comparative law, told Global the current political climate worries him.

He said the university has put out a memo to its entire community warning people to be extra vigilant if they enter the U.S., and reminded its students and staff to declare their trips to the university.

“[There’s quite] some distance from what we have experienced in the past decades in our very close interactions with several research organizations and great universities there,” he said.

 

&copy 2025 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.



Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Politics

UK refuses to invite Israeli government officials to London arms fair over the war in Gaza – National TenX News

Published

on


The U.K. has barred Israeli government officials from attending the country’s biggest arms fair over growing concern about the humanitarian crisis in Gaza.

The decision does not cover representatives of Israeli defense contractors, who will be allowed to attend the DSEI UK exhibition, scheduled for Sept. 9-12 in London. The event was formerly known as Defense and Security Equipment International.

“The Israeli Government’s decision to further escalate its military operation in Gaza is wrong,” the British government said in a statement. “As a result, we can confirm that no Israeli government delegation will be invited to attend DSEI UK 2025.”

Get the day's top news, political, economic, and current affairs headlines, delivered to your inbox once a day.

Get daily National news

Get the day’s top news, political, economic, and current affairs headlines, delivered to your inbox once a day.

The decision comes after Prime Minister Keir Starmer in July announced plans to recognize a Palestinian state unless Israel takes steps to end the crisis in Gaza, agrees to a ceasefire with Hamas and commits to a long-term peace agreement. Britain previously barred sales to Israel of any arms that could be used in the nearly 23-month war in Gaza.

Story continues below advertisement

Israel’s Defense Ministry said the decision was based on politics and “serves extremists.”

“These restrictions amount to a deliberate and regrettable act of discrimination against Israel’s representatives,” the ministry said.

The Israeli ministry said it would withdraw from the exhibition and will not establish a national pavilion.

Pro-Palestinian and anti-war groups have announced plans to for protests during DSEI, which will take place at the Excel center in east London.


&copy 2025 The Canadian Press



Continue Reading

Politics

Israel soon will halt or slow aid to northern Gaza as military offensive grows – National TenX News

Published

on


Israel will soon halt or slow humanitarian aid into parts of northern Gaza as it expands its military offensive against Hamas, an official said Saturday, a day after Gaza City was declared a combat zone.

The decision was likely to bring more condemnation of Israel’s government as frustration grows in the country and abroad over dire conditions for both Palestinians and remaining hostages in Gaza after nearly 23 months of war.

The official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak to the media, told The Associated Press that Israel will stop airdrops over Gaza City in the coming days and reduce the number of aid trucks arriving in the north as it prepares to evacuate hundreds of thousands of people south.

Israel on Friday ended recently imposed daytime pauses in fighting to allow aid delivery, describing Gaza City as a Hamas stronghold and alleging that a tunnel network remains in use, despite previous large-scale raids. The United Nations and partners have said the pauses, airdrops and other measures fell far short of the 600 trucks of aid needed daily in Gaza.

A ‘massive population movement’ coming

AP video footage showed several large explosions across Gaza overnight. Israel’s military Saturday evening said it had struck a key Hamas member in the area of Gaza City, with no details.

Story continues below advertisement

In recent days, Israel’s military has increased strikes on the outskirts of Gaza City, where famine was recently documented and declared by global food security experts.

By Saturday there had been no airdrops for several days across Gaza, a break from almost daily ones. Israel’s army didn’t respond to a request for comment or say how it would provide aid to Palestinians during another major shift in Gaza’s population of over 2 million people.

For news impacting Canada and around the world, sign up for breaking news alerts delivered directly to you when they happen.

Get breaking National news

For news impacting Canada and around the world, sign up for breaking news alerts delivered directly to you when they happen.

“Such an evacuation would trigger a massive population movement that no area in the Gaza Strip can absorb, given the widespread destruction of civilian infrastructure and the extreme shortages of food, water, shelter and medical care,” Mirjana Spoljaric, president of the International Committee of the Red Cross, said in a statement.


It’s impossible that a mass evacuation of Gaza City can be done in a safe and dignified way, she said.

Hundreds of residents have begun leaving Gaza City, piling their remaining possessions onto pickup trucks or donkey carts. Many have been forced to leave their homes more than once.

Killed while seeking food

Israeli gunfire killed four people trying to get aid in central Gaza, according to health officials at Al-Awda Hospital, were the bodies were taken.

An Israeli strike on a bakery in Gaza City’s Nasr neighborhood killed 12 people including six women and three children, the Shifa Hospital director told the AP, and a strike on the Rimal neighborhood killed seven.

Story continues below advertisement

Gaza’s Health Ministry said another 10 people died as a result of starvation and malnutrition over the past 24 hours, including three children. It said at least 332 Palestinians have died from malnutrition-related causes during the war, including 124 children.

At least 63,371 Palestinians have died in Gaza during the war, said the ministry, which does not say how many are fighters or civilians but says around half have been women and children. The ministry is part of the Hamas-run government and staffed by medical professionals. The U.N. and independent experts consider it the most reliable source on war casualties. Israel disputes its figures but has not provided its own.

“There is no food and even water is not available. When it is available, it is not safe to drink,” said Amer Zayed, as he waited for food from a charity kitchen in Deir al-Balah on Friday.

“The suffering gets worse when there are more displaced people,” he added.

Israelis rally again to demand a ceasefire deal

Israelis waited to hear the identity of the remains of a hostage that Israel on Friday said had been recovered in Gaza. It also said it recovered the remains of hostage Ilan Weiss.

Forty-eight hostages now remain in Gaza of the over 250 seized in the Hamas-led attack on Oct. 7, 2023, that sparked the war. Israel had believed 20 are still alive.

Their loved ones fear the expanding military offensive will put them in even more danger, and they were rallying again Saturday to demand a ceasefire deal to bring everyone home.

Story continues below advertisement

“Netanyahu, if another living hostage comes back in a bag, it will not only be the hostages and their families who pay the price. You will bear responsibility for premeditated murder,” Zahiro Shahar Mor, nephew of hostage Avraham Munder, said in Tel Aviv.

&copy 2025 The Canadian Press



Continue Reading

Politics

U.S. scraps Palestinian officials’ visas ahead of UN General Assembly – National TenX News

Published

on


The Trump administration said Friday it was denying and revoking U.S. visas from members of the Palestinian Authority and the Palestine Liberation Organization.

That comes ahead of next month’s United Nations General Assembly, where Canada and several other countries have said they intend to officially recognize a Palestinian state.

The U.S. State Department cited the groups’ efforts to secure statehood recognition at the UN, along with their appeals to the International Criminal Court and International Court of Justice to investigate alleged Israeli crimes in Gaza, as reasons for the decision by U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio.

“Both steps materially contributed to Hamas’s refusal to release its hostages, and to the breakdown of the Gaza ceasefire talks,” the department said in a statement.

“The Trump Administration has been clear: it is in our national security interests to hold the PLO and PA accountable for not complying with their commitments, and for undermining the prospects for peace.”

Story continues below advertisement

The statement did not name the officials being denied entry. It was not immediately clear if the list included Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas, who was expected to travel to New York for the UN gathering.


Click to play video: 'Carney says Canada to recognize the state of Palestine in September'


Carney says Canada to recognize the state of Palestine in September


The Palestinians’ ambassador to the UN, Riyad Mansour, told reporters at the UN headquarters that they were checking exactly what the U.S. move means “and how it applies to any of our delegation, and we will respond accordingly.”

For news impacting Canada and around the world, sign up for breaking news alerts delivered directly to you when they happen.

Get breaking National news

For news impacting Canada and around the world, sign up for breaking news alerts delivered directly to you when they happen.

Representatives assigned to the Palestinian Authority mission at the UN, led by Mansour, will be granted waivers so they can continue their New York-based operations, the U.S. statement said.

Mansour said Abbas still intends to lead the delegation to the high-level meetings and is expected to address the General Assembly — as he has done for many years — and to attend a meeting on the afternoon of Sept. 22 on a two-state solution co-chaired by France and Saudi Arabia.

Story continues below advertisement

U.S. President Donald Trump will travel to New York and address the general assembly on Sept. 23, the White House said on Thursday.

Canada, Britain, Australia and France in recent weeks have announced or signalled their intention to recognize a Palestinian state during the meeting.

The countries have said their recognition is conditional on the Palestinian Authority — which has limited self-rule over parts of the occupied West Bank and has for years been positioning itself as a legitimate government alternative to Hamas in Gaza — undergoing reforms and new elections.

Abbas has signalled he will co-operate with the Western nations’ demands.

The Palestinian Liberation Organization is an internationally recognized coalition that represents Palestinian people in its occupied territories and abroad.


Click to play video: '‘This madness cannot continue’: Palestinian president Abbas urges UN to end war in Gaza'


‘This madness cannot continue’: Palestinian president Abbas urges UN to end war in Gaza


The Trump administration has staunchly backed Israel’s military offensive in Gaza. The U.S. has also refused to condemn expanded Israeli settlements in the West Bank, which Canada and other allies have said undermine two-state solution efforts.

Story continues below advertisement

Rubio hosted Israeli Foreign Minister Gideon Saar in Washington on Wednesday “to reaffirm our two nations’ close cooperation,” the U.S. secretary said in a post on X.

Saar, asked after the meeting what the plan was for a Palestinian state, said there would not be any.

The Israeli minister on Friday thanked Rubio for holding the PA and PLO “accountable for rewarding terrorism, incitement and efforts to use legal warfare against Israel” in a social media statement.


Officials with the Palestinian Authority reject that they’ve undermined peace prospects.

Under the 1947 UN “headquarters agreement,” the U.S. is generally required to allow access for foreign diplomats to the UN in New York. But Washington has said it can deny visas for security, terrorism and foreign policy reasons.

Hamas earlier this month said it had accepted a U.S.-backed proposal on a ceasefire in Gaza that would see the release of some hostages in exchange for talks with Israel that would end the conflict and see the return of all remaining hostages.

But Israel has said it will only accept the full return of all the hostages and has pressed ahead with a plan to occupy Gaza City, which international monitors like the UN have warned could worsen a famine already afflicting the Palestinian territory.

Story continues below advertisement

Rubio last week announced sanctions against multiple International Criminal Court judges and prosecutors involved in the court’s investigation into Israel’s actions in Gaza and the issuing of arrest warrants against Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and former defence minister Yoav Gallant.

—With files from Reuters

&copy 2025 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.



Continue Reading

TRENDING

Copyright © 2022 TenX News Network