Connect with us

Politics

EU investigates Shein over sale of child-like sex dolls and weapons – National TenX News

Published

on


European Union regulators are investigating Shein over concerns the online retailer hasn’t done enough to limit the sale of illegal products or protect users from the platform’s allegedly addictive design.

The 27-nation bloc’s executive arm said Tuesday that it opened formal investigation under the bloc’s sweeping rulebook known as the Digital Services Act, which requires the biggest online platforms to take extra steps to protect internet users from dodgy products.

Shein may be required to alter its actions, or pay a hefty fine if a so-called non-compliance decision is reached following an in-depth investigation, the European Commission said.

One area its investigation is focusing on is whether Shein has the proper safeguards in place to limit the sale of products that are illegal in the EU, the commission said, including items that amount to child sexual abuse material such as “child-like sex dolls.”

Story continues below advertisement


Click to play video: 'Shein facing allegations of selling goods made with forced labour'


Shein facing allegations of selling goods made with forced labour


The fast-fashion giant came under fire last year in France, where authorities found illegal weapons including firearms, knives and machetes as well as child-like sex dolls for sale on its website. The French government sought to suspend access to the Shein site in France. A court blocked that action and asked the commission to investigate under the bloc’s Digital Services Act.

Get the day's top news, political, economic, and current affairs headlines, delivered to your inbox once a day.

Get daily National news

Get the day’s top news, political, economic, and current affairs headlines, delivered to your inbox once a day.

The commission says it will also determine whether Shein has systems to mitigate risks related to what it says is the platform’s addictive design, which includes giving users points or rewards “for engagement.”

And regulators are also targeting the transparency of Shein’s recommendation systems that suggest more products to consumers. They’re concerned that the company doesn’t clearly explain to users why they’re being recommended specific products.

Shein said it takes its obligations seriously and will continue to cooperate with the commission.

Story continues below advertisement

The company said it has invested significantly in strengthening compliance with the DSA. The measures “comprehensive systemic-risk assessments and mitigation frameworks, enhanced protections for younger users, and ongoing work to design our services in ways that promote a safe and trusted user experience.”

“Protecting minors and reducing the risk of harmful content and behaviours are central to how we develop and operate our platform,” the company said in a press statement.


&copy 2026 The Canadian Press

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Politics

Canada can’t be ‘naive’ to China’s transnational repression threat: report – National TenX News

Published

on


Researchers behind a new report on transnational repression are warning Canada must not be “naïve” as it seeks better relations with China, which remains a top perpetrator in intimidating and harassing dissidents abroad.

The report by the Montreal Institute for Global Security (MIGS) called transnational repression “one of the most serious yet least understood threats to security and democracy in Canada,” and named China a leader in such efforts.

It cited several examples, including so-called “police stations” and online influence campaigns targeting Chinese Canadian diaspora communities. Families still living in China have been threatened, the report adds, and women have been targeted with sexual AI deepfakes.

Speaking at a press conference in Ottawa on Tuesday to mark the release of the report, its authors said they recognize the importance of diversifying Canada’s economic relationships in response to U.S. tariffs, but that it shouldn’t come at the expense of security.

Story continues below advertisement

They acknowledged India, with which Ottawa is also seeking to repair trade and diplomatic ties, as another example.

“We must not put ourselves in agreements that could put our citizens in danger,” said Kyle Matthews, executive director of MIGS.

“We have to keep our eyes open, and we can’t close our eyes to the authoritarian threat that China represents, and still is. As many of the countries around the world that deal with transnational repression will tell you, China is one of the biggest players, if not the biggest player.”

The report comes a month after Prime Minister Mark Carney travelled to China and struck agreements on trade, business and travel that he said would forge a “recalibrated” relationship after years of diplomatic strain.

On Sunday, China announced it was dropping its visa requirement for Canadian tourists and business visitors, a move that those behind the report said must be met with caution.

“We should not for a moment think that Canadian citizens travelling to China are not under threat of being monitored,” Matthews said.


Click to play video: 'Carney says China doesn’t share concerns on ‘foreign interference,’ but relations at ‘turning point’'


Carney says China doesn’t share concerns on ‘foreign interference,’ but relations at ‘turning point’


Marie Lamensch, MIGS’ global affairs director and the report’s co-author, said it will be important for Canada to maintain its own visa requirement for Chinese travellers in order to ensure agents of the Chinese Communist Party aren’t coming to intimidate Canadians.

Story continues below advertisement

Co-author Phil Gurski, a former analyst for the Canadian Security Intelligence Service (CSIS), said the agency’s security screening branch should play a role as well.

For news impacting Canada and around the world, sign up for breaking news alerts delivered directly to you when they happen.

Get breaking National news

For news impacting Canada and around the world, sign up for breaking news alerts delivered directly to you when they happen.

“If there are visitors coming from the People’s Republic of China, they should be vetted through CSIS, which has its own intelligence sources, has alliances with its counterparts around the world,” he said.

“And if CSIS comes up against information that indicates somebody is not being truthful or forthcoming in their background or their intentions on coming to Canada, they should be denied entry.

“There’s no right to come to Canada. It is a privilege.”

What other threats does Canada face?

The report makes clear that China is not the only transnational repression threat that Canada faces.

It cites several examples of Russian, Indian and Iranian attempts to stifle dissent abroad, while also highlighting lesser-known threats by Algeria and Rwanda towards their diasporas in Canada.

Story continues below advertisement

Several Global News investigations into Indian and Iranian repression are cited in the report.

Those investigations highlighted violent threats faced by Iranian dissidents and Sikh nationalist activists in Canada — most notably the alleged involvement by India’s government in the 2023 assassination of Hardeep Singh Nijjar in British Columbia.

Earlier Tuesday, Global News revealed that hundreds of foreign citizens are being investigated by Canadian immigration authorities in B.C. alone for their alleged involvement in a wave of Indian gang-led extortion crimes, mainly against Canadians of Sikh background.


Click to play video: 'Canadian-born Sikh activist speaks publicly about assassination threats'


Canadian-born Sikh activist speaks publicly about assassination threats


The MIGS report also cites Global News’ reporting on a 2024 warning from Canada and its Five Eyes intelligence partners that China and Russia are targeting civil society groups like journalists and non-profit activist organizations online.

It says countries like China and India also frequently task diplomatic staff with carrying out repression efforts abroad.

Story continues below advertisement

The report’s authors said transnational repression is “a widespread phenomenon” and “a threat that is increasing” and “becoming more pronounced,” with several countries pursuing it at different degrees.

“I have spoken to Iranian Canadians who regularly receive threats to not raise what’s happening in Iran here in Canada, to not protest against the regime,” Gurski said, citing the recent anti-government protests in that country that were met with a deadly crackdown.

“I have a former colleague, a very senior Saudi intelligence official I met many years ago, and a Saudi hit squad was sent to Canada in the late 2010s to assassinate him as well for things he was saying against the Saudi regime.”

Lamensch noted even the threat of transnational repression has a chilling effect on democracy, with diaspora members increasingly unwilling to speak up against abuses at home or enter politics in Canada. They may even feel compelled to not vote in elections, she added.

The report frequently cites the recent public inquiry into foreign interference, which issued a call for government action on transnational repression after hearing from diaspora communities, while noting the issue extends far beyond elections.


Click to play video: 'Does Canada’s foreign interference report go far enough?'


Does Canada’s foreign interference report go far enough?


Among the MIGS report’s recommendations are to quickly stand up Canada’s federal foreign influence transparency registry to better track individuals who may be involved in repression efforts. The registry was created by the government’s 2024 legislation to address foreign interference but has yet to launch.

Story continues below advertisement

The Liberal government said last month it had chosen Anton Boegman, a former chief electoral officer of B.C., to lead the registry but his appointment must be approved by Parliament.

Simon Lafortune, a spokesman for Public Safety Minister Gary Anandasangaree, told Global News the 2024 law requires the commissioner to be approved within 30 days of the appointment, which would mean the House of Commons procedure committee and both chambers of Parliament have until Feb. 28 to do so.

Questions about the registry’s opening were forwarded to Public Safety Canada.


The MIGS report also calls on Ottawa to provide more resources and training to agencies like the RCMP and municipalities to recognize and respond to transnational repression, enhance public education and communications about such efforts, and improve international cooperation.

Last year, the Canada-led G7 issued its first-ever leaders’ statement on transnational repression that acknowledged the growing threat and committed to building a global resilience and response framework with measures to combat it.

A so-called digital transnational repression detection academy was launched in Toronto last fall, which aims to train participants from across the G7 to identify and counter digital and AI-led surveillance, manipulation and harassment attempts.

The U.S., which holds the G7 presidency this year, cut funding last year for U.S. State Department programs that partnered with organizations like Freedom House to monitor transnational repression and develop tools to confront it.

Story continues below advertisement

“We need to have more funds coming to Canadian civil society groups to do the research that is no longer being done in Washington,” Matthews said. “So this is an opportunity for Canada, with France, Germany, Italy, its other G7 partners, to make this both a foreign policy priority and a domestic priority.”

Lafortune said Anandasangaree’s office would take the time to study the MIGS report and its recommendations before commenting further.

Continue Reading

Politics

Rhode Island shooting brought to ‘swift end’ by ‘good Samaritan’: police – National TenX News

Published

on


A shooter unleashed a flurry of bullets during a Rhode Island youth hockey game, killing two people and injuring three others, in an attack that was cut short when a spectator stepped in to help stop the tragedy, authorities said.

Investigators had spoken to nearly 100 witnesses as of Monday evening as they attempt to piece together what happened earlier that afternoon inside the Dennis M. Lynch Arena in Pawtucket, a few miles outside Providence.

Pawtucket Police Chief Tina Goncalves said Monday that the shooter died from an apparent self-inflicted gun wound, though authorities are still investigating.

Goncalves credited an unnamed “good Samaritan” who intervened, bringing the attack “to a swift end.” She did not provide details.

It is not entirely clear what precipitated the shooting, who was targeted or why.

Story continues below advertisement

The game was livestreamed by LiveBarn, a streaming platform for youth sporting events, whose videos have been shared on social media showing players on the ice as popping sounds are heard. Chaos quickly unfolds as players on benches dive for cover, those on the ice frantically skate toward exits and fans flee their seats.


Click to play video: 'Video captures chaos inside Rhode Island ice rink during shooting that killed 2'


Video captures chaos inside Rhode Island ice rink during shooting that killed 2


LiveBarn’s social media account has been issuing warnings to those who shared the video that they do not have permission to do so. An email to LiveBarn seeking comment was sent Tuesday.

Get the day's top news, political, economic, and current affairs headlines, delivered to your inbox once a day.

Get daily National news

Get the day’s top news, political, economic, and current affairs headlines, delivered to your inbox once a day.

“It appears that this was a targeted event, that it may be a family dispute,” Goncalves said. Authorities said both people who died were adults but have not released the identities of the victims.

Goncalves identified the shooter as Robert Dorgan, who she said also went by the name Roberta Esposito, who was born in 1969.

Story continues below advertisement

Dorgan was an active employee at General Dynamics Bath Iron Works, a ship building in Bath, Maine, that contracts with the U.S. Navy, David Hench, a spokesperson for the shipyard, said Tuesday. Hench did not immediately respond to questions about Dorgan’s job title or how long Dorgan worked at the shipyard.

Monday’s shooting came nearly two months after Rhode Island was rocked by a shooting at Brown University that left two students dead and wounded nine others, as well as a Massachusetts Institute of Technology professor. Authorities later found Claudio Neves Valente, 48, dead from a self-inflicted gunshot wound at a New Hampshire storage facility.

“Our state is grieving again,” Rhode Island Gov. Dan McKee said in a statement. “As governor, a parent, and a former coach, my heart breaks for the victims, families, students, and everyone impacted by the devastating shooting at Lynch Arena in Pawtucket.”

Associated Press writer Patrick Whittle contributed to this report from Portland, Maine.


&copy 2026 The Canadian Press

Continue Reading

Politics

U.S. surfer Kurt Van Dyke found dead in Costa Rica in apparent robbery – National TenX News

Published

on


American surfer Kurt Van Dyke was found dead after an apparent home invasion in Costa Rica, according to authorities.

Costa Rica’s Judicial Investigation Agency (OIJ) received a report Saturday morning about the death of Van Dyke, a 66-year-old California native, according to Costa Rican outlet CR Hoy.

The preliminary report details that Van Dyke’s body showed signs of strangulation and multiple stab wounds. An autopsy will be conducted, according to The Associated Press.

Citing law enforcement, the outlet reported that two men, armed with at least one gun, threatened Van Dyke and a woman, stole objects from the home and a vehicle. The woman escaped without serious injuries.

CR Hoy reported the preliminary findings indicated that a deceased male was found under a bed, with a sheet over his head and a knife next to him.

Story continues below advertisement

A woman, who told the outlet she was Van Dyke’s romantic partner, said that she was showering when the suspects entered the home.

According to the woman, they tied her hands and feet with gauze and assaulted her and Van Dyke before taking off with their vehicle.

For news impacting Canada and around the world, sign up for breaking news alerts delivered directly to you when they happen.

Get breaking National news

For news impacting Canada and around the world, sign up for breaking news alerts delivered directly to you when they happen.

The outlet reported that security camera footage shows the suspects fleeing in two vehicles. No arrests have been made and the investigation remains ongoing.


Van Dyke, a local hotel owner in Puerto Viejo on Costa Rica’s Caribbean coast, was part of a well-known California surfing family. A 2021 obituary of his mother, Betty Van Dyke, described her as a part of a pioneering group of early female surfers. Her first husband, Gene Van Dyke, was also a well-known Northern California surfer.

Peter Van Dyke, Van Dyke’s brother, told the San Francisco Chronicle that his brother was “a very benevolent, giving person who would help just about anybody.”

“Kurt would never hurt anybody, and he was always there when you needed him. Everyone that he met knew this about him,” he added.

Raw Surf, a platform dedicated to surf culture, shared a tribute to Van Dyke on Instagram, writing, “Kurt, originally from Santa Cruz, came from a true surf lineage and built his life around waves, community, and hospitality. Friends and family describe him as generous, kind, and someone who would help anyone who needed it. A pillar in the local surf community.”

Story continues below advertisement

“His girlfriend survived the attack. Authorities are investigating and have indicated this appears to be an isolated robbery incident. Stories like this shake the surf world. We travel for waves, for connection, for peace. And when one of our own is taken senselessly, it hits home — no matter where you live,” it added.

“Our thoughts are with Kurt’s family, friends, and the Costa Rica surf community during this incredibly difficult time.”

— With files from The Associated Press

&copy 2026 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.



Continue Reading

TRENDING

Copyright © 2022 TenX News Network